Are you searching for some good dog insurance plans?
If yes, then it is vital to understand the insurance plans and their terms before buying a particular plan. A good pet insurance plan for dogs can assist dog owners to take the pain out of surprising veterinary bills.
Also, with pet insurance for dogs, owners can completely focus on providing the best possible medical care to their furry buddies without worrying about the costs. However, a wrong decision in choosing an insurance plan may lead to the wastage of both time and money, Therefore it is advisable to gain complete know how of a plan before opting for it.
In this blog, we will discuss about dog insurance plans, their benefits, and other related things. Let’s get started.
What is dog insurance?
Dog insurance is simply an insurance policy purchased by a pet owner for his/her pet. It is quite similar to the health insurance policies for humans. In the event of an unexpected accident or sickness, having a pet insurance plan can guard the pet owner’s finances to a great extent. The policy helps to reduce the costs of expensive veterinary bills. If the pet gets sick or injured, the pet owner can show the bill and submit a claim to the insurance agency for reimbursement. Based on the type of policy, the pet owner may need to pay an amount or a percentage of the bill.
The policy covers for dogs can cover either the entire or some part of various costly veterinary procedures. The insurance premium is generally based on the average cost of veterinary care in the location where the owner resides. It is important to note that a pet insurance policy may not cover all types of veterinary procedures. Therefore, before choosing a particular plan, it is important to evaluate and compare various plans to find the right one.
What is excluded from a pet insurance plan?
Though it depends on the type of policy, there are certain types of illness and conditions that are generally excluded from the pet insurance plan. Some of these things include:
• Preexisting or hereditary conditions
• Dental issues
• Hip dysplasia
• Behavior issues
• Routine checkups
• Preventive care
• Grooming, etc.
How does pet insurance work?
Before approving the insurance claim, an insurance company usually performs a health checkup to ensure the authenticity of the claim. It takes some waiting period for the approval of the claim. In the event of an accident, the waiting period is quite shorter, typically a few days. Whenever a pet owner needs the insurance, he must first pay the veterinarian bill himself and then file a claim for the reimbursement. The insurance company will evaluate the claim and if it gets approved the fund will be transferred to the pet owner’s account.
The entire process usually takes two to three business days. For more complex claims, it might take more than a week time. In all, the whole insurance plan is based on the structure of the plan. The important parts of an insurance plan are:
• Deductible Amount: It is a sum that a pet owner must pay before claiming the coverage. It is usually paid per year.
• Reimbursement: After the deductible amount is paid, the insurer has to pay a percentage of the bill.
• Annual max: It is the maximum amount that an insurer will pay in medical bills each year. Any charges above that amount have to be bear by the pet owner.
Why buy dog insurance?
Just like humans, no one can predict the health of a pet. When or how the pet will get sick and how much it will cost, there is no way to anticipate this. However, if such a situation occurs, having the right dog insurance plan can prove to be a lifesaver. Pet insurance for dogs will protect the owners against unexpected veterinary bills. Other reasons to choose a dog insurance plan include:
• Peace of mind: One of the key reasons to obtain pet insurance is that it gives complete peace of mind to the owners. Pet insurance allows them to choose the best possible treatment option available for their ailing or injured pet. It is important to note that a large percentage (up to 80%) of the medical bill gets reimbursed after paying the deductibles.
• Choose any veterinarian care: Pet insurance policies allow pet owners to pick their choice of a veterinarian to obtain the right pet care. For reimbursement, they just need to present the veterinary bill to the insurance company.
• Insurance policies can be obtained at any age: Though it is recommended to opt for pet insurance program in the early years of a pet to leverage the benefits of lower premiums, there is no discrimination against any breed or age of the pet. One can insure the pet at any time, any age.
• Provides different payment plans: Most pet insurance policies provide different payments options to the pet owners like monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annual payment plans. Owners can choose a particular plan that works best for them.
What is the average cost of pet insurance premiums?
The average cost of pet insurance premiums generally depends on various factors such as:
• Breed: Larger pets cost more to insure as they usually have shorter life spans and are likely to develop more health issues.
• Species: As compared to cats, dogs cost more to insure. Especially the male animals generally come with huge premiums.
• Age: Younger pets are quite cost-effective to insure. This is due to the reason that they generally have less chance of health issues in their early stage of life.
• Place: Premiums may also vary based on the location of the pet owner.
Besides, the average pet insurance costs may vary greatly based on the type of plan you choose. The monthly premiums may range from $10 to higher than $100. When choosing a plan with decent coverage, most pet owners are likely to pay a premium between $30 and $50 per month.
FAQs related to choosing pet insurance for dogs
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about buying insurance for pets:
1. Whether to choose a pet health discount plan or a complete insurance plan?
When opting for a pet health discount plan, the owner usually pays an annual fee. The plan usually covers various services for less. On the other hand, in the case of a pet health insurance plan, insurance cover may depend on the type of insurance plan. The owner pays a monthly premium for the insurance. When an owner needs reimbursement, he needs to pay a deductible amount and the insurance will pay for the rest.
2. Does a pet owner get to choose their vet?
The option to choose a vet generally depends on the provider and type of insurance coverage. Many insurance companies provide discount plans that cover a network of veterinarians in different states. When choosing this plan, the owner can go to any of the veterinarians under the network to get a discount. No matter what plan it is, the owner will have to pay upfront for the pet care, and then he can file a claim. The insurance company will then reimburse the amount covered under the policy.
3. Is there any waiting period?
Like any other insurance, a pet insurance policy may also need a waiting period to take effect. For each insurance provider, the waiting period may vary by condition. It may take between a few days or a few months as well. Different conditions that can affect the waiting period include:
• Accidents: Usually a few days
• Illness: 10 to 15 days
• Specific condition: between 15 days and a few months based on the condition
4. Does an insurance plan cost depend on the pet’s age?
Yes, with the growing age of your pet, the pet insurance plan costs can also increase. Therefore, it is advisable to enroll your pet when they are young and healthy.
5. What are the enrollment rules?
Usually young and healthy pets are qualified for any kind of insurance plan. However, there are some plans that won’t allow enrolling senior pets. Still, you can find various service providers who have plans that don’t consider the age limits for insurance enrollment.
6. What all is covered under a pet insurance plan?
Well, most insurance plans don’t provide insurance cover for pre-existing conditions or hereditary issues in pets. However, the plans may vary from one service provider to another. For some special cases, you might pay extra to cover a condition. It would be better to discuss in advance about what will be covered under a plan that you are planning to choose.
7. What if someone buys pet insurance after the pet gets sick?
It is vital to note that pet insurance does not cover pre-existing medical conditions. It is better to avail an insurance policy before your pet gets injured or seriously ill. The expenses related to a pre-existing medical condition will not be covered by the insurance plan and the owner will have to pay the entire amount.
8. Does routine wellness care come under the insurance plan?
Many pet insurance service providers allow pet owners to add routine wellness care services to their insurance plans by paying an additional monthly fee. This kind of all-inclusive policy covers routine wellness care like dental care, immunizations, heartworm testing, etc.
9. Is neutering or spaying covered under a pet insurance plan?
Not all pet insurance programs cover this service under the basic illness and accident category. However, as most pet owners use spaying and neutering services, it can be covered under some pet insurance plans that cover wellness and preventative care.
10. Does prescription coverage also included in the pet insurance plan?
It depends on the type of plan you want to go for. Some policies cover medical prescriptions while others provide it as an add-on.
Opting for pet insurance is indeed the best way to manage and pay for various costly veterinary treatments.
Today, one can also buy dog insurance online at the comfort of their home. As so many insurance plans are available in the market nowadays, it might get confusing as to which one will be the best for you and your furry friend.
To find the right plan, it is advisable to perform a thorough evaluation and comparison of various pet insurance plans available in the market. Analyzing and comparing pet insurance plans is necessary in order to find the right plan for you.
Hope you found this blog quite useful and informative. If you have any suggestions or queries related to dog insurance plans, feel free to ask in the comment section.