Do you know grooming pets is an essential part of animal care? Regular pet grooming will not only help to keep pets hygienic and attractive but also helps in building a strong relationship between pet and pet parents. In this blog, we will discuss everything related to dog grooming. This blog will help dog parents to know some of the quick and easy pet grooming tips and tricks.
What is pet grooming and when to start grooming pets?
Dog grooming is all about the cleaning and hygienic care of a dog. It is also a process of improving a dog’s physical appearance. Dogs can be groomed professionally as well as at home by the owner itself. Now the question is when to start dog grooming. Well, it is better to start dog grooming as early as possible in puppies.
Why? The answer is, early grooming makes puppies habituate about the whole process.
Yes, grooming can be a frightening experience for many dogs. Starting the process at the younger stage makes it easier for the pet owners to make the pet love their groomer as well as grooming. Therefore, it is better to start the grooming session as early as possible, preferably between 12 to 16 weeks. Just make sure that the pet is done with its required shots before starting the grooming process.
Benefits of pet grooming
Some of the key benefits of regular dog grooming include:
• Improved hygiene and smell
• Helps in checking for fleas and their eggs build-up
• Early detection of any skin-related problems
• Reduced chances of ear infections
• Nail trimming helps to lessen the risk of developing bad posture or bone deformations
• Helps to preserve healthy and shiny coats
• Regular brushing prevents the chances of matt developing
• Grooming helps to make pets look much better and smart
Ways to determine pet’s grooming needs
So, how pet owners can determine their pet’s grooming needs? Well, every pet has its individual grooming needs. Things that need to be considered before getting your pets on a grooming schedule include:
• Type of coat: Some pets have a light coat that requires less maintenance and some with heavy coats need regular grooming. Some fur stays condition from their natural oils, whereas some furs become dull and dry if not provided timely grooming.
• Fur length: Pets with long hair require frequent brushing and cuts for easy maintenance of their fur. Not brushing and cutting frequently will not only make pets look unhygienic but may also lead to skin irritation and other diseases in pets.
• Outdoor activity: A pet that spends most of its time outside the home (playing, walking, etc.) will require a more frequent grooming regime.
• Self-grooming habits: Some pets like to keep themselves clean. Also, some pets don’t care about keeping themselves clean and hygienic. Such pets may require professional grooming help.
Apart from the above-mentioned factors, pet owners can even consult with their vet or a professional groomer to determine the exact grooming requirements of their pets. One can even go for the best online vet consultation to know about the pet’s grooming requirements.
Tips for pet grooming at home
If you are planning to groom your pet at home, but don’t know how to start, what to do, and how to establish a successful at-home grooming routine with your pet, then below mentioned are some of the best pet grooming tips that can be very helpful for you. Have a look:
• Brush your dog’s coat regularly: No matter what breed it is, brushing your dog’s fur regularly helps to keep their coat neat, clean, shiny, and glossy. The amount of brushing depends on the length and texture of your dog’s coat. Dogs with long hair like golden retrievers and collies need frequent brushing, at least once a week. On the other hand, dogs with short hair like Labradors and greyhounds can be brushed every other week. Regularly brushing longhaired dogs helps to prevent matting from becoming a major issue like skin irritation, severe pain, skin infections, or an abscess. Similarly, brushing shorthaired dogs helps to get rid of dirt, dander, and loose hair from the dog’s coat.
• Trim your dog’s hair carefully: Pet owners can trim their dog’s overgrown hair around their eyes and paws carefully in between professional grooming. Trimming the overgrown hair around the eyes helps to prevent vision blockage and irritation in the eyes. Before trimming the hair, make sure to calm your pet. Be careful while using scissor blades near the skin to avoid hurting your pet.
• Trim your dog’s nails safely: Long nails can create discomfort among your pets. So, if you hear them clicking on the floors while walking, then it’s the right time to trim your dog’s nails. One important thing to note here is that it takes a lot of patience to trim your dog’s nails. Also, you need to be very careful while trimming your dog’s nails.
• Check your dog’s ears for any infection: Ear infection can be very painful for dogs. Make sure to check your pet’s ears closely while grooming them. Any unusual signs like moist or inflamed ears, odd ear smell, a different kind of discharge than usual, or if dog shakes its head or scratches at its ears continuously, it can be a sign of discomfort and pain in ears. Also, if you notice any changes in their behavior, make certain to take your pet to your vet for a check-up.
• Examine your pet’s skin closely while grooming: Dogs are prone to allergic skin diseases, leading to itchiness. Extreme itchiness may make your dog chew, lick, or scratch its skin. Besides, external parasites like fleas, lice, ticks, and mites can transfer various skin-related diseases. Therefore, make sure to check your dog’s skin every time during grooming. Checking skin helps to detect any unusual lumps or bumps, rashes, bald spots, sores, or signs of parasite infestations.
• Allow your pets to enjoy grooming sessions: Sometimes dogs need encouragement and positive support when they are introduced to a grooming routine for the first time. So make sure to make each grooming session more and more enjoyable for your pets. Try to introduce things slowly to them and don’t forget to praise and reward them with lots of treats so that they will look forward to their next grooming session.
• Avoid bathing your dog too often: Dogs with healthy skin can be bathed every couple of months to avoid unpleasant odors and to maintain their hygiene. Frequent bathing may take away natural oils from their coat and dry out their skin. Also, make sure to use quality products that are specially formulated for dogs and are gentle on their skin.
So these are some essential tips that pet owners can try to keep their pets hygienic and healthy. This also demonstrates the pet parent’s love for their pets and provides them the opportunity to spend quality time together. However, taking the help of professionals is recommended if pet parents are not comfortable in grooming their pets or don’t have time to do so.
If you are taking the help of a professional groomer, you must first make your pet feel safe and secure at the groomer’s hand. Some of the key strategies you can implement yourself that can make the job of the groomer quite easier so that he can take good care of your pet. Some of these strategies include:
• Frequent brushing: Make sure to gently brush your pet’s fur frequently to prep him for the grooming experience.
• Play with your pet’s paws: Often playing with your puppy’s paws will prepare them for the groomer’s handling.
• Socialization: Make sure to socialize your pet. An experience with strangers can make puppies feel more relaxed and calm when handled by professional groomers.
How Professional Pet Grooming Is Different From Grooming At Home?
It is important to note that hygiene requirements may vary between different breeds of pets and their lifestyles. Some pets need frequent grooming, whereas some need very little maintenance. Therefore, there are many considerations when deciding whether or not to go for professional grooming. Some of the key considerations include:
• Time and Budget: Grooming a pet at home can be very time-consuming. Besides, cleaning up the mess after grooming, need a lot of hard work and patience. Offering this job to a professional can be very convenient and time-saving as well. Nowadays, there are several professional pet grooming services available in the market that provides pet grooming services at very reasonable rates. Usually, prices vary based on the size of the pet ad the type of coat they have. Moreover, professional grooming is not a frequently reoccurring expense. Depending upon the individual needs of your pet, you can schedule another appointment with a professional pet groomer.
• Ability to groom pets at home: Another most important consideration for pet grooming is that being a pet owner do you think you will be able to groom your pet easily at home? Many dogs dislike grooming activity which may cause them to act unusual and misbehave. Bathing them is another biggest task, especially for those who don’t like getting into the water. Moreover, clipping and trimming their nails require a lot of attention and patience. On the other hand, professional groomers are equipped with all the necessary equipment (like grooming tables, commercial bathing tubs, professional drying equipment, a variety of products, etc.) and knowledge that can make the whole grooming experience much more pleasant for the pets. In addition to this, professional groomers provide certain professional services that can be difficult to administer at home.
What do you understand by a professional groomer?
A professional or stylist who professionally grooms dogs, cats, and other pet animals are known as a pet groomer or pet stylist. A professional takes instructions from the pet owners for grooming and accordingly groom pets as per the client’s wishes in a professional manner.
Health Benefits of Professional Grooming
Professional pet grooming not only helps to make a pet look and smell awesome but also reduces a lot of time and effort that pet owners need to spend grooming their dog. Some of the key health-related benefits that can be achieved by investing in a good pet grooming session include:
• Professional bathing sessions (regular but not so frequent) helps to get rid of dirt, thereby reduced the chances of skin irritations or infection.
• Professionals make sure to detangle dog’s coasts that help to prevent them from getting tangled and leading to excruciating pulling on the skin.
• Professional groomers make use of professional tools and products for grooming. For instance, they make use of the correct brushes based on the type of coat to remove any dead or damaged hair. This helps to accelerate new hair growth, leading to a healthy and shiny coat.
• Proper and careful brushing also helps to distribute the dog’s natural oils evenly and removes dead skin as well.
• Trimming of nails with professional equipment greatly reduces the risk of nail tears and cracks.
• Proper grooming also helps in the early detection of lumps, bumps, or skin irritations.
To conclude, if you want to make your pet look and feel healthy and smart, then the above-mentioned pet grooming tips can be the best solution for you. If you have any questions or suggestions regarding pet grooming, feel free to ask in the comment section.