Nowadays, numerous apps are available in the market like pet management app, pet feeding schedule app, pet care app, and more that makes a dog owner’s life easier and help in keeping their pets healthy.
However, if you are looking for some natural products to keep your dog free from various health issues, you must give a try to neem oil.
Many dog parents prefer using neem oil on their dogs as it works as a natural insecticide and pesticide. Extracted from the seeds and bark of neem tree, neem oil has been used for thousands of years in the Indian subcontinent and other parts of the world for numerous health problems and diseases. It is not only beneficial for humans but also for animals.
Neem oil can provide relief from assorted conditions and also be used for the skin treatment of dogs. It can be the best alternative to medications to repel fleas, ticks, and other parasites as it is not toxic for dogs.
The oil can be mixed with other oils for added benefits and applied topically. It can be added to shampoo or used as a spray. In all, neem oil can be used in assorted ways to treat various conditions in dogs.
Benefits of Using Neem Oil for Dogs
Here are some of the key benefits of using neem oil for dogs, have a look:
• Anti-Bacterial Properties: The anti-bacterial properties of neem can effectively fight against various common, as well as rare, extremely dangerous, and deadly viruses including the common cold, dengue virus, and malaria. Moreover, its ability to exterminate a multitude of different types of bacteria helps to keep a dog healthy and protects its skin from disease-causing bacteria.
• Anti-Fungal Properties: Neem oil is also rich in anti-fungal properties that help to control and fight-off the fungi that cause ringworm in dogs, as well as Candida (fungi that cause yeast infections and thrush).
• Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Neem oil contains a specific triterpene compound, known as ‘Nimbidin’. This compound is helpful in managing inflammation. Nimbidin has been shown to have strong anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis abilities that help to repress the functioning of macrophages and neutrophils, both of which cause inflammation.
• Antioxidant Properties: Neem oil also contains a large amount of antioxidants that are helpful in minimizing the number of free radicals. Free radicals can create unstable molecules that may lead to many disorders in the body like cataracts and other eye disorders, cardiovascular disease, cancer, liver damage, and more. Using neem oil for dogs can prevent all these conditions.
• Prevent Diabetes: Some studies suggest that using neem oil for dogs is effective at controlling blood sugar levels in diabetic animals. The oil is also helpful in preventing or delaying the onset of diabetes in animals.
• Promote a Healthy Coat: The omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, and vitamin E present in the neem oil help to promote a healthy and shiny coat in dogs.
• Relieve Itching: The antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties in neem help repelling and fighting harmful fungi, parasites, and viruses, which further help to fight off infections due to them that cause a dog’s skin to itch. Moreover, the combination of vitamin E and essential fatty acids is effective at relieving itching occurs due to food allergies, dry spots, chafing, insect bites, hot-spots, and anything that may cause a dog to itch. It can even effectively heal wounds and treat eczema and psoriasis.
Tips on How to Use Neem Oil for Dogs
Using undiluted neem oil for dogs may increase the risk of severe or even deadly side effects.
Therefore, it is advisable to dilute neem oil before using it on dogs to ensure safe dosages. Always, mix the neem oil with a carrier oil like olive oil or almond oil at a 1:10 ratio. This solution can then be mixed with water or shampoo to make a spray for dogs.
Diluting neem oil also reduces its harsh smell and makes it easier to tolerate. You can also opt for some good pet management app where you get tips and tricks on using various home ingredients like neem oil on dogs to keep them healthy.
Though neem oil has many beneficial properties that improve dogs’ overall health, if you are planning to use neem oil on your dog, it is advisable to conduct a small spot check to make sure your dog is not sensitive to neem oil before applying the product over his entire body.
You can also schedule an appointment with your veterinarian using a dog schedule app if you experience any kind of adverse reaction to neem oil application as some dogs may be sensitive or allergic to it.