Are you planning to adopt a cat or already have your first cat or kitten at home?
If yes, then you might be having so many questions about how to care for cats, what do cats like to do for fun, how to keep them healthy, what do they need to be happy, and many others.
In this blog, you will get to know about the things related to cats that might help you to know your pet better.
Before looking at the things that cats like, let’s have a glance over the top things cats hate and don’t like:
• Smells: Cats are very sensitive to smells. There are a few smells such as citrus smell, rosemary, lavender, eucalyptus, thyme, and smell of fresh herbs that they don’t like. Even many essential oils are toxic to cats. Also, cats hate the strong menthol smells.
• Too much attention: It is important to know that cats are independent creatures. They don’t like too much attention and can’t stand over aggressive petting. Therefore, pet owners must respect the boundaries of their cats and do not try to force them to do things that they don’t like.
• Very little attention: Cats are sometimes confusing. Sometimes they may seem irritated and sometimes they may want all the attention of their owners. Though it is true that cats love to have their own space, they do enjoy affection from their owners and that too on their own terms.
• Medicine: Cats also hate taking medicine. Whether it’s a liquid medicine or a pill, giving medicine to a cat can be a real struggle for the owners.
• Another feline: A cat may not like adding another feline in the family and they may become aggressive if another feline comes into the family. If introducing another cat, pet owners must keep them apart until they get used to each other.
• Belly rubs: Unlike other canine companions, cats don’t like belly rubs. They are very much protective of their stomach area and don’t like anyone touching them there.
Things cats like to do
No doubt cats are adorable; they are mysterious creatures as well. They are quite temperamental. To keep them calm and happy, it is important to understand their likes and the things they love to do. Here is the list:
• Taking naps: Do you know cats love to sleep? Yes, you heard it right. The average kitty can sleep for about 12 to 16 hours per day. Since cats are nighttime creatures, they mostly snooze in the day time. It is important to note that senior cats and kittens spend a lot of their time sleeping as compared to adolescent cats. However, if a cat is sleeping too much or too little, it is advisable to ask a vet online about what is normal for a cat based on his age, breed, size, and activity level.
• Grooming: It is interesting to know that adult cats spend around half of their waking hours grooming themselves. In fact, grooming is an important part of a cat’s life. It helps to keep them clean by removing dirt and grime from their coats, keeps their coat healthy, hydrated, and shiny, makes them feel relaxed by reducing the stress, and also cools them off during hot weather. One more important thing that needs attention is that most cats love to get groomed by themselves rather than by their owners.
• Fresh and nutritious food: Same as humans, cats also don’t like spoiled food. First and foremost, cats don’t like the smell of stale and spoiled food. Secondly, it not only tastes bad but also hosts a variety of bacteria like salmonella and staphylococcus that may be harmful to the cat’s health. Cats always prefer to have fresh and tasty food. So make sure to check the expiration date on wet and dry food before serving the meal to a kitty.
• Running water: There are so many interesting things about cats and one such thing is that they love to drink water from running faucets whenever they get an opportunity. Even a number of drinking fountains are available in the market that is specifically designed for cats so that they can enjoy fresh and cool running water.
• Scratching and clawing: Cats love sharpening their claws by scratching and clawing different surfaces. Scratching also helps to make them relaxed and rejuvenates them. A nice and long scratch session can wake up a tired cat immediately.
• Playtime: Whether a cat is in his kittenhood or to his senior years, they love to have a great playtime. Cats can be entertained with anything including a toy, lint, string, anything. Playtime is an important part of their health and development. Therefore, cat owners must make sure to give their cats plenty of time to play and enjoy the things they like the most. It keeps them active, energetic, exercised, engaged, and most importantly happy.
Hope the above guide is helpful for you in knowing the top things cats hate as well as what do cats like to do for fun and enjoyment. The prior knowledge about the cat’s likes and dislikes can help owners to provide better care and atmosphere to their pets.